Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Don't quite know what to say, but feel the need to say something. It always helps to get my feelings and experiences out a bit...

I went to work this morning as usual. I wasn't feeling great since I've been sick for something like 3 weeks now. Hubby was a lot worse... He wasn't seeing the same results I was after 2 rounds of antibiotics. He didn't even want breakfast today -- which is unusual.

After I was at work a couple of hours, he called. He was not feeling well at all. He'd been nauseated and throwing up. He tried to get out of bed only to go all black in the face. ...vision gone. He began shaking uncontrollably, became seriously weak, and was sweating profusely. He called me immediately because he wasn't sure if he'd fainted or not, but wanted to let me know of this situation to help him out if I needed to do so. I talked with him for about 15 minutes, thinking he was just dealing with a bad flu bug. He called me back almost immediately after we hung up to say he needed to go to the emergency room. His hands and fingers were now going numb. I raced home to find him still in bed -- afraid to get up on his own for fear of falling.

I drove as fast as I possibly could to the local hospital. Once we arrived, he asked that I go in the emergency room and ask for someone to bring out a wheelchair. He was shaking so badly now that he was afraid to even stand up. His whole body was weak.

After sitting in triage for some time, he was finally taken back to the emergency room and all sorts of blood test, urine tests, and monitors were set up. They did an EKG to see if he'd had a heart attack, then a CAT scan to make sure he hadn't had a stroke.

We think they have now ruled out a heart attack, though they are now requesting an EEG tomorrow to get a better picture of his heart, but they are also requesting an MRI of his brain. They aren't completely sure yet that he didn't have some sort of stroke. And his thyroid is definitely not right. The normal T3 range for a normal thyroid is between 1 and 4. His 'normal' is between 1.3 and 1.7. His T3 is now 12. TWELVE! (...which is HIGHLY confusing!! The numbers just don't match up for thyroid storm, and yet...) They think he's going through what they call Thyroid 'Storm'. He's been through it before. He thinks that's probably what it is, too. They refused to release him. They are keeping him slightly sedated until they can at least figure out what is going on with his thyroid. They need to do more tests to make sure that option is safe for all his organs. Being in Thyroid Storm over time begins to destroy internal organs like the heart and brain. We'll find out more tomorrow. I'll try to keep everyone updated.

It seems very strange, but we are both still in fairly good spirits. I'm extremely happy that he called me and wanted to go to the hospital. (You know how men are...) But he's alive and in the hospital being treated. They say that for sure what happened today is that he had a seizure. It was a wake up call to what else is going on with him internally.

I left the hospital after midnight after 12.5 hours in the emergency room. But he was taken to a room upstairs and admitted finally, and I know he's fairly safe and sound and in a place where someone will be watching him constantly.

I'm going to work in the morning, but after his tests, they are fully expecting to transfer him to another hospital. (Which now may not be necessary. They're still doing heart and brain tests, though...) I came home and packed everything he'd need for a week's stay at any hospital and took them to the hospital he's currently staying. He'll call tomorrow to let me know what tests they will be doing. (He didn't even want me to stay at the hospital tonight! He said, "There's nothing you can do. At least go home and get some rest." Yeah. As if that's possible! ;)

We just celebrated our 25 year anniversary in December. That's not enough time. Nowhere near it...

2 comments:

brandy101 said...

OMG< prayers right now for BOTH of you.

I am so glad you were able to keep it together to get him to the hospital. I hope they figure out all of the issues and get that thyroid in order!

Deirdre said...

*hug*

Trip to Scarborough Faire